Saturday, December 6, 2008

24 months: Bon vivant

Dear Liam,

Very soon you'll turn 2 years old and to be quite honest, I'm still hazy on some of details of that misty day 24 months ago when they pulled you out looking green and bluish. It's not that I can't remember, but more of how I remember. The memories seem like they're coated in warm honey, slightly blurry, except for one. You looking at me. That one is distinct. I feel with everything I've got, and I think you're just like me. Don't ever be afraid of feeling "too much."



To everyone's chagrin, you have perfected the Cindy scowl: eyebrows furrowed, puckered lips. You've started to do it even when you're not mad about something. It's charming really, but I prefer your infectious cherub smile. You don't like hearing the word "no," and will start to cry while reaching your hands to your mouth as if someone bopped you one. But luckily you get over things quickly.



Olives and avocados are your latest foods du jour. But the olives can't be sliced and must be placed on the tips of your fingers before you'll eat them and you're a stickler for a pristine avocado — no browning wedges! You are a pint-sized bon vivant and I sort of dig it. Nothing wrong with having a sophisticated palate I say. But those sugar-free popsicles sure do come in handy.



Until very recently you've been no talk and all action, which doesn't help when your pregnant working mama just wants to sit on the sofa for two seconds. I don't worry about your speech development, reminding you and others that Einstein didn't speak until he was 3. You understand everything we say, maybe too much. Perhaps you'll dazzle us next week with a Shakespearian monologue, who knows. You're that unpredictable. You're also very interested in all things music. Wonder where you get that from ... You'll break into smiles and dance whenever a ditty is near. And holy smokes, if Social Distortion's "Story of My Life" isn't your favorite. I've never seen a person get so animated when they hear a tune. We may have you dancing to this song on video, I can't remember. There's also a funny clip of you grooving to an old Rolling Stones song. Oh, and you're favorite books seem to be "Curious George."



I've been struggling with the world lately. So much tumult and sadness. It's hard to stay positive about your future. Then I remember God's promise and I'm relieved. His plan for you is there. As a Hebrew name, Liam means "my people; I have a nation." The German meaning evokes the words will, desire, helmet and protection. You are destined to do great things in your life, Liam. Every day I watch you explore and interpret your world and it never ceases to astonish me. I love you.

Mama

2 comments:

Debra said...

Looks like Liam had a great time at his birthday party, sorry we missed it. He is so big and so cute, it's amazing how fast the years go by, you truely just don't see it, until you watch it happening to someone who started out so small.

Missy said...

We had fun watching the kiddos play.
2 years indeed! In a few weeks I'll be weeping for my own two year old baby boy. More boy than baby!